Just a short note about this blog.

For timeline purposes, posts from 2008-2014 are summaries of significant happenings in those years. Please use the Blog Archive links to start at the beginning.

Past tense/Present tense language may change within a post, but those variances should not impact the overall telling of my experiences. I am Canadian, therefore, the spelling of some words (tumor/tumour, color/colour) may vary depending on if it's my wording or quoted text. I have tried to include both key words in the labels of relevant posts.

The blog contains medical terminology. I have tried to provide explanations or definitions when they occur. Occasionally medical images (nothing too graphic) are included to further explain or demonstrate.

Explanations and graphics link to original sources wherever possible with the exception of my personal photos.

Search This Blog

June 20, 2015

Lost in Limbo?

The past few weeks have left me feeling like I've been lost in limbo, uncertainties in both eye care and neurological care seem to be raising their heads.

When I was in hospital last month, I discovered that my neuro-surgeon was on leave and a follow up was scheduled with one of the senior staff from the neurological department. My appointment was booked for June 18th at Neuroscience Ambulatory Clinic (NAC) in Hamilton.  While driving with Robert to Hamilton, I received a call advising me that the neuro-surgeon had been called into the OR and I wasn't going to be seeing him. There also appears to be some confusion about who I should actually be seeing. The doctor I was scheduled with wasn't the one who performed my most recent procedure and I should probably be examined by the one who tied off my shunt. They would get back to me with a new appointment, possibly with a different doctor. So far, I haven't had a return call on that one.

I booked an eye exam for the 23rd. It has been 2 years since my last one, and I know I need new glasses. Currently, I can either watch TV or look at my monitor, I have to wear my glasses for the TV and I have to remove them to see my computer screen.  I think I'm getting to the bifocal stage.  I actually got a call back from the eye doctor telling me that my last appointment was July 2013, and technically I couldn't see her until next month.

I did a bit of research and from what I can see, in Ontario, there are certain eye conditions that allow for annual eye exams, covered by the provincial health plan. From my personal experience, I fall under the 4th paragraph, under 65 with visual field defects. I provided the optometrist with my neuro-ophthalmologist information to confirm the Visual Field Test results for the past 3 years. Currently I am waiting on a return call from the optometrist to confirm that I do qualify for yearly exams under the OHIP program.

Eye Care Services Covered (Ontario)
People 65 years and older and those younger than 20, are covered by OHIP for a routine eye examination provided by either an optometrist or physician once every 12 months plus any follow-up assessments that may be required.
Specified ophthalmology services for patients of any age with specified medical conditions or diseases affecting the eyes are insured.
Insured persons aged 20 to 64 years with specified medical conditions affecting the eye can receive an OHIP insured regular eye examination once every 12 months.
Insured persons aged 20 to 64 with any of the following conditions can go directly to their optometrist or physician to receive an OHIP insured eye examination: diabetes mellitus, glaucoma, cataract, retinal disease, amblyopia, visual field defects, corneal disease, strabismus, recurrent uveitis or optic pathway disease.
Insured persons aged 20 to 64 who have certain medical conditions not listed above may also be covered for regular eye examinations. They should discuss this with their primary health care provider.


June 12th marked a day of progress for Rachel. We took her for her riding lessons and noticed the horse that she normally has her lessons on was already being ridden and the other 2 were not in sight. Well, Krystal accused me of squealing, but when they took Rachel to the paddock to get her horse for the lesson, she came back to the barn leading Patch! I will admit I have been waiting for this day. Patch is an adorable little guy with a big attitude. I can't say for sure if he is a pony or a miniature horse, I know there are differences but I don't know enough to state which he is. He does have the attitude of a full size horse though. I have seen him challenging the bigger and older horses in the paddocks, and showing that he is the boss.  He does require more direction from Rachel than the earlier horses she has ridden, but they wouldn't have put her on him for her lesson if she wasn't ready. 


Rachel on Patch

Talking of being ready and growing up too fast! Wednesday, June 17, 2015 marked Rachel's graduation from senior kindergarten! Where has the time gone? It's so hard to believe that she is already entering the primary grades at school.

Rachel - September 2013
First day of JK



Mummy Rachel and Daddy
SK Graduation 2015