Just a short note about this blog.

For timeline purposes, posts from 2008-2014 are summaries of significant happenings in those years. Please use the Blog Archive links to start at the beginning.

Past tense/Present tense language may change within a post, but those variances should not impact the overall telling of my experiences. I am Canadian, therefore, the spelling of some words (tumor/tumour, color/colour) may vary depending on if it's my wording or quoted text. I have tried to include both key words in the labels of relevant posts.

The blog contains medical terminology. I have tried to provide explanations or definitions when they occur. Occasionally medical images (nothing too graphic) are included to further explain or demonstrate.

Explanations and graphics link to original sources wherever possible with the exception of my personal photos.

Search This Blog

November 19, 2008

In Memory ~ Buddy (1994 - 2008)

Buddy and Rob
I can't leave 2008 behind without posting about a truly special family member we lost late in the year. 

Buddy was Rob's Shepard/lab cross. A sweetheart of a dog that I didn't have the fortune to know long enough.

Rob often shared stories of how Bud had the habit of escaping and often he would find him in the company of women. Perhaps it was his way of trying to help Rob find the right one. 

Buddy was there a lot for me when I got sick, often just coming up and resting his head on my knee, or on the bed beside me while sticking a cold nose in my face, as if to say "just making sure you're ok". 

Buddy with Krystal

He will forever be remembered as "the party pooper" though. 


In July 2008, we had a family gathering for Canada Day and to celebrate my sister Tara's 20th birthday. As you can guess, the combination of excitement, plus nerves (Bud had an extreme fear of thunder and fireworks) resulted in an unpleasant accident. Fortunately, we had replaced our carpets with a tile floor and with the help of green apple scented cleaning wipes, quickly got back into family mode. 

In the latter part of 2008,  Buddy had noticeably aged. His hearing was pretty much gone and he was beginning to really show his 14 years. He was getting unsteady on his legs and I was truly concerned of him getting seriously hurt slipping and falling on the ice and snow. 

November 19 we made the choice to say good-bye to a long time friend.  I guess in Buddy's mind, he knew Rob had finally met the right person and he could rest. 



He may be gone, but he will never be forgotten
April 24, 1994 - November 19, 2008